Getting There

It has been a month since we left Murphys.  We have had some adventures and experienced new things. The longer I wait to write, the more territory there is to cover.  I’ve waited too long already, so here we go…

We began our trip dreading the long drive to Washington, so we decided to make it a two-day journey this year.  We also chose a different route than the usual Highway 5, fast-as-you-can method.  Just passed Redding, we headed toward Klamath Falls and drove up the East side of the Cascades toward Bend, Oregon.  It was a very different drive, through high desert scenery sprinkled with wildflowers.  We enjoyed the open spaces, the topography reminding us of where we met in Bishop, California.  We passed through many tiny towns, requiring us to slow down a bit as we wondered what types of people lived there and what they did for a living.  People probably wondered the same thing when they passed through the Bishop area.

Upon entering one such town, we were in town before we realized it.  Yours truly was driving, and I was disconcerted to see an Oregon State Trooper behind me with flashing red lights.  I realized that I hadn’t seen the speed limit sign as we entered.  The nice Trooper informed me that I had been going 55mph in a 35mph zone.  “I’m sorry!” I said, reaching for my wallet to pull out my license.

Now, all the ladies reading this will understand:  When you take off to travel for months at a time, it necessitates changing purses.  You don’t want to carry around all the stuff you normally do.  Accordingly, I had downsized not only my purse, but my wallet.  I had placed my drivers license in a safe spot in said wallet, but it was so safe I couldn’t find it with those red lights flashing behind me.  The officer was really nice, and asked if I remembered my license number.  I tried my best!  “I might have left one digit out, I think…”  He went to his patrol car to look up my license, and I turned my wallet over to find my license in the plastic picture portion, right in front.  So, I ran back to the patrol car waving the license, “I found it, I found it!”  Probably not too smart.  Mike, to his great credit, kept silent.  Well, maybe he shook his head a little.  The officer handled it gracefully and I went back to the car.  Pretty soon he reappeared and handed me my license and registration.  “Why are you in such a hurry to get to Washington?” he asked.  “Oh, I’m not in a hurry.  I was just singing along with the radio, and lost track of my speed.”  “That’ll get you every time,” he said, and he let me off with a warning.  What a nice man!  God watches over little old ladies like me.


We passed through beautiful country on our way to Bend, where we made a dinner stop at Deschutes Brewery, and sampled some beer.  We found a couple we really like, a couple of beers that is.  Afterward, Mike was keen to get further down the road, but we didn’t get very far before the long drive and the beer combined made us decide to look for a room sooner rather than later.  We found a room for…  wait for it…  $65, breakfast included!  We’re not in California any more, Toto.  We slept great.

The next day we drove the rest of the way to our destination of La Conner, Washington.  On the way, we drove through the beautiful Cascades.  We might have spent more time touring them, but low clouds were obscuring the peaks, and a persistent drizzle wasn’t inviting for hiking around, so on we went to the boat.  An odd feeling of home-coming was in the air.

As you may recall from previous posts, Voyager was shrink wrapped at the end of last season.  Consequently, we spent a few days working in a bubble while on board.  We camped out on the boat in the boat yard, and we were highly motivated to move out and get underway!  We finally removed the shrink wrap, a job in itself, and completely washed down our “big girl.”  The mast had been lowered before the wrap job, and Mike and I managed to get it vertical again all by ourselves.  We felt pretty good about it, but even better about replacing the rigging on the mast and boom.  The old lines were worn and pretty nasty.  Now we have fresh new lines. [Lines = ropes, for you landlubbers]

Finally, it was launch day.  The unspoken question:  Do we still remember how to operate this thing?  I’m happy to report that we were successful and safe as we launched, and also as we docked.  We were very fortunate to find a spot to dock nearby on Memorial Day weekend, which we hadn’t been aware of since our heads were in work, work, work-on-boat mode.

Sunset – Day One.  Many more to come…
And so, we began our summer aboard.  We decided to head north into Canada to explore new territory, before our first visitors were due to visit.  We were joined for the first couple of days by some good friends in their boat.  It was fun spending evenings together.  Then it was time to head north on our own, ready or not.


6 thoughts on “Getting There

  1. Nice update Beth, and I’m glad you didn’t get a ticket. I hope to visit you in early August if that fits your schedule. I’m glad Voyager was cooperative and you’re back in the swing, or the nautical equivalent. Back on the horse? Nope.


  2. Thanks for the update. Have fun in Canada!! All is well here finally getting hot so enjoy the cooler sea breezes!!


  3. Love your adventure stories. You two know how to live!! Zach loves that beer. Travel safe and slow down and smell the roses, Beth. 😎


  4. Miss you guys but love to live big through you. May God bless your boat and make it a haven from stress, and a blessing to your friends.
    Eric and Janet


  5. Loved the way the Trooper treated you! He must have been young and you reminded him of his mother. Glad to hear the launch was a success. Enjoy.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s